An empty box can feel chic if you light it correctly. Here are simple tips and inspirations:
1) The Trifecta: Remember the three prongs of lighting: Ambient, task and accent. Start with your ambient and then address accent and task as needed.
2) Dimmers or Death: Getting the dimmer settings right is essential to a properly lit room. For some reason, people often make this an after thought, but it should be just a regular thought. Sometimes the newer high tech switches can get a little confusing, so make sure you understand them so you don’t have to brush your teeth in the dark. .
3) Be Shady: High quality lamp shapes and picture lights can get expensive, but nothing makes a room look like a few million bucks than really quality fixtures.
4) Manage Your Bulb Guilt: “I want to go energy efficient … but … nothing glows (or dims) like incandescents.” It’s true, but the new bulbs are just so, so much better for the earth and are looking better all the time. Their soft whites are getting very close. And they have dimmable versions as well. If you can leave the incandescents to just one or two figures, pretty soon you won’t miss them.
5) Lighting Hacks: A fun and easy way to avoid costly electrician bills are to get smart lights that are controlled with a phone app. Phillips Hue makes a nice set that connect to your wifi. No wiring needed. The lighting schemes are infinite and they are really nice transition into the smart home universe.